Convicted Child Molester Gets 800 Years
1 hr 38 ago
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The former roommate of one of the nation's most prolific child molesters was sentenced Friday to at least 800 years in prison for sexually abusing three boys.
Fred Everts, 36, was convicted last year of molesting the youngsters, ages 3, 9 and 11. He was sentenced to 800 years to life.
Police discovered the crimes two years ago while investigating Dean Arthur Schwartzmiller, who authorities say may have molested hundreds of youngsters over decades and kept detailed logs on the children.
Schwartzmiller, 65, was sentenced in January to 152 years in prison for abusing two 12-year-old boys. He and Everts had met in prison on earlier molestation charges and eventually moved in together in San Jose. (link)
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Thursday, February 8, 2007
Anna Nicole Smith diesAnna Nicole Smith, the former Playboy playmate whose bizarre life careened from marrying an octogenarian billionaire to the untimely death of her son, died Thursday after collapsing at a South Florida hotel, one of her lawyers said.
8 minutes ago
Smith, 39, collapsed and was unresponsive while staying at the Seminole Hard Rock Cafe Hotel and Casino, said the attorney, Ron Rale. She was rushed to a hospital.
"She checked in Monday at 8 p.m. as a guest. She was due to check out tomorrow," said Danielle Giordaano, a spokeswoman for the hotel. (link)
Her life was a roller-coaster from the first day she hit the news. As weird as it was though, it didn't deserve this ending at only 39.RIP
Tuesday, February 6, 2007
With the 'stalemate' in the Senate raging on, Pelosi decides that if the Democrats in the Senate can't do their job correctly, the House will have to show them how:
House Schedules Vote on Iraq Resolution
Feb 06 3:12 PM US/Eastern
By DAVID ESPO
AP Special Correspondent
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Democratic-controlled House will vote next week on a nonbinding measure opposing President Bush's decision to dispatch additional troops to Iraq, officials said Tuesday, hastening a postelection clash between Congress and commander in chief.
The precise nature of the measure remains to be determined, the officials said, although Brendan Daly, a spokeswoman for Speaker Nancy Pelosi, said, it will be "our opposition to the surge" in troops.
The Pentagon is in the midst of implementing Bush's order to raise troop levels by 21,500, part of a plan to help quell sectarian violence in Baghdad.
Bush's revised strategy has sparked strong opposition among Democrats, and officials said that Pelosi and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., had both pledged to their rank-and-file that next week's vote would merely be the first attempt to pressure the president to shift course in the war. Other legislation will be binding, they said.
Under House rules, Democratic leaders have the authority to advance a measure to the floor for three days of debate and a vote.
That stands in contrast to the Senate, where Republicans have so far blocked an attempt by Democrats to hold a full-fledged debate on a war that has claimed the lives of more than 3,000 U.S. troops.
House Democratic leaders charted their course as Defense Secretary Robert Gates told a Senate committee that U.S. forces might be able to start leaving Iraq before the end of the year _ if daunting conditions including subdued violence and political reconciliation are met. (link)
Notice the bolded paragraph. The AP is actually claiming that the Republicans are thwarting debate by fillibust'ing the vote on a senate bill. Before the current congress was installed, any fillibuster by Democrats was called opening up debate (as it is truthfully), so what gives? I'll leave that question to you, if you don't know the answer, you probably don't like what I write anyway.
Reason to go hmmm
Filed: Congress, Democrats, Senate, MSM, liberal, LordNazh
Monday, February 5, 2007
World NewsSo far the Spanish government is standing it's ground. But I expect (looking at recent history) for that to change and them to cave.
ETA supporters back Chaos
ETA Man Wants Peace TalksUpdated: 15:35, Monday February 05, 2007
A convicted ETA killer has called on the Spanish government to reopen talks with the Basque separatist group, it has been reported.
Inaki de Juana Chaos is appealing against a 12-year jail sentence for making terrorist threats in a Basque newspaper.
He has already served a 20-year term for murdering 25 people in a series of attacks.
Chaos told The Times: "I am completely in agreement with the democratic process of dialogue and negotiation."The government called off talks after ETA bombed Madrid's Barajas International Airport in December, killing two people.
The militant group says it did not mean to kill anyone in the attack, and still regards the peace process as ongoing.
Spain's socialist government has rejected talks, and 200,000 anti-ETA protestors marched in Madrid on Saturday, in support of that stance. (link)
Reason against the terrorists